Sunday, November 13, 2011

Illustration Friday - Silent

"Silent Knight" or "The 'K' in Knight is Silent"


This was a tough one...I mentally went through the obvious choices and even drew a baby sleeping in the woods but in the end, I'm pleased with my play on words and drawing this cute little guy took me out of my comfort zone.  That's what IF is all about for me...forcing me to be creative and productive.







 
I was a busy bee today...I made the BEST beans ever and two loaves of bread for dinner.



The BEST beans ever (Beans in broth)

Chop 1/2 cup yellow or white onions and cook in a 1 tablespoon each of olive and vegetable oil until the onions are black.  Not just browned but burned black.  You might want to open doors and turn on your fan.  In the meantime, rinse 1 cup of dry pinto beans.  Do not soak.  When onions are black add the beans and 4 or 5 cups of boiling water.  Be very careful adding water to hot oil!  Water should cover the beans.  Add one bay leaf.  Simmer partially covered for about an hour.  Keep your eye on the beans, if too much water evaporates add one cup of water at a time (water should be hot before adding.)  After about an hour when beans have softened add 1 teaspoon of salt.  Make sure you do not add salt before beans have softened.  Continue to simmer, adding hot water when needed for another hour or two until beans are cooked.  There should be some "broth."  If too much water has evaporated, add more to make some broth.  Discard the bay leaf.  Discard the black onions if you like (I never do.)  These beans freeze very well.  Use this recipe to make refried beans by smashing beans and reheating in a bit of oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment