Wednesday, January 25, 2012

She Believed She Could So She Did

She Believed She Could So She Did.  Mixed media on cavas.  2012


My son and I were talking about New Year's resolutions the other day and he said he didn't have one. I told him that I did and he said jokingly: "what, to be nicer to your kids?" (GEEZ, thanks a lot, kid!!) And I said "Nope. It's to be nicer to MYSELF."


She Believed She Could So She Did

I don't know who first came up with that quote but I love it and am adopting it as my own. I am still very much enjoying this world of blogging despite technical limitations (I don't know how to use my Photoshop Elements, why does Blogger not work half the time??) and time limitations and ongoing issues with confidence. It amazes me how large a blogging community exists of women just like me...women with varying degrees of art education or experience, some with kids, some with day jobs, but all struggling with the idea that creating art just because it makes you feel happy or whole is something to fear or even avoid all together. I love the blogs of these women, they are full of ideas, affirmations, encouragements and yes, fears and doubts. One blog I came across recently is by Kelly Rae Roberts. I love her style of art and her positive energy. I bought her book which I have not had time to really read yet but has already inspired me to create this piece.

This is my mixed media collage/painting. It's made from old postcards, letters, maps and my own art. Each little bit is from someone special in my life or reminds me of a special time. I am going to hang it where I can see it every day and it can remind me of all of the wonderful things I have experienced and how all of my life experince has lead me to this point when I can fearlessly create art that makes me happy and I won't talk myself out of sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment