Friday, February 3, 2012

7 Days, 7 Salads - Day 1 - Pear, Prosciutto Salad

Today I am starting a new project that I have been working on for some time.  In an effort to eat healthier I have committed my family to eating more salads as dinner meals.  I almost always serve a side salad with dinner but don't make salads as a dinner meal often enough.   I do have salads for lunch but am getting bored with the plain old green salad.  For the next 7 days I will post one salad a day, either as a dinner meal or as a lunch.   I am trying to use all organic, seasonal and locally available produce.  All salads are gluten free and you can, of course, leave out the diary products and meats to make them vegan.  I will try to note substitutions.  I hope you enjoy!

7 Days, 7 Salads - Day 1 - Pear, Prosciutto Salad

This is the salad we had for dinner last night.  For my son's diary free version I left off the goat cheese and substituted the dressing for Brianna's Poppy Seed.  I had never tried crisping prosciutto before, delicious!  And the dressing is so lemony and refreshing.  This recipe is definitely a keeper. 


for the salad:
1 package prosciutto
1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn into bit sized pieces
1/4 - 1/3 cup thinnly sliced red onion
1-2 ripe pears, sliced
goat cheese
parsley to garnish

for the dressing:
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup greek yogurt
zest of one lemon
pepper to taste

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place prosciutto slices on cookie sheet; cook until crisp 8-10 minutes.  Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.  Whisk dressing ingredients.  Arrange torn butter lettuce, onions, pears on plates.  Top with goat cheese, crumbled crispy prosciutto and parsley.  Drizzle on desired amount of  dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment