Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homemade Marinara Sauce

When faced with a bumper crop of tomatoes why not make your own marinara sauce?  I found this basic recipe, tweaked it a little and it turned out quite easy and delicious.  Keep in mind that this recipe can be easily modified to fit your needs and tastes.  When I was done peeling and seeding I found that I had 7 cups of tomatoes and not the 12 the original recipe calls for so I adjusted all the other ingredients accordingly. 



Ingredients

7 cups peeled and seeded ripe tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon mixed dried herbs (I used Italian blend)
1/3 cup red wine
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

 
In a large pot heat olive oil.  Add onions and saute over medium heat stirring frequently.  When onions are starting to become translucent and golden brown (about 5 minutes) add garlic and dried herbs and cook for 5 another minutes.
Add red wine (I didn't really add the wine from my glass, I just thought it was funny to photograph it that way!)  Stir well, scraping the herbs, onion and garlic from bottom of pan.  Cook for 2 minutes. 
 
Add tomatoes and bay leaf bring to gentle simmer then lower heat and cook slowly for 2 hours.  Stir frequently.  Add more salt & pepper to taste if needed.
 
When it was done I took out about a cup to freeze and use another day for pizza sauce. 

 
For now I decided to brown some ground beef to make a bolognese sauce to serve over (gluten free corn) spaghetti. So good and so proud of myself. I made this from scratch!
 
And the tomatoes keep coming...



I'm linking this post to Must Try Mondays on My Favorite Finds...because you must try this recipe!  :)

6 comments:

  1. yum! I can smell it from my desk! wonderful photos, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks delicious! I love the wine shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice demo! There is nothing like homemade sauce. I just made pickles. The cucumbers are in full force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't grow cucumbers this year...maybe next year! My kids would love to make pickles.

      Delete
  4. That's a fine looking sauce, Rita! Your tomato vines look great - nice plump, ripe fruit. I enjoyed your pictures, thank you!
    (Loved, loved, loved the puppy shot.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Being Italian, I love homemade marinara! Great post!

    ReplyDelete